Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Jumping on the "Upcycled" Bandwagon (whatever that means)

This is an on-going project for Della's nursery. I started by making buildings for a city-scape out of old cartons. Orange juice, chocolate milk, Gold Fishies and whipping cream. I used white paint and primer mix and a sharpie marker. The board I used for the streets was in the back of our Subaru for, I don't even know how long, and the wooden vehicles my sister got at a dollar store in Utah. Steal deal, right? 


And then there's the Barnum's Animal train. Occasionally I get boxed animal crackers and Push-Ups (sherbet), so I decided to combine them to make a train. I've only made two so far, but they ride super smoothly and go far, too! Della doesn't appreciate them yet, she just gets mad when she opens the box to find it empty of her favorite snack.



2 comments:

  1. Any recommendations for us non-crafty people? Pretty sure I couldn't get my buildings to look that amazing. It looks like a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My recommendation is the simpler the better. Once you get passed painting them white, (3 coats is what it took to cover all the designs) just scribble on a couple windows and a door, and do fish-scales for the roof. Fish scales are great because you can mess up a million times and it will still look good. These don't have to be extravagant to be cute, and the off-centered oblong style is perfect for these, whether you mean to do it or not:) What will make the biggest difference is not how many windows and shapes there are, but how dark your lines are. I went over my lines like 3 times to make sure they were dark. If anything, you could just let your boys loose on them. I'm sure they'd have a blast decorating them!

    ReplyDelete